SciTech Summer Programs
SciTech Academy Makes Science Fun
Join SciTech's two-week summer science program immerses children in the wondrous world of science. Led by Kim Magloire, an award-winning scientist, educator, and author, the program gets kids excited about science through fun, hands-on activities which show them how science relates to everyday life. The program runs from June 13 to June 24.
Budding scientists called SciTech Explorers, ages 4 to 8, will:
- explore a vast sprawl of insects and flowers and unseen creatures in the soil in Central Park using a magnifying glass and discuss their findings with experts at the Central Park Conservancy,
- get excited about "going green" and renewal energy by assembling a hydrogen fuel cell car and learning about recycling and its role in reducing wastes,
- launch explosive Soda Geysers using Mentos candy and learn why this cool, chemistry experiment, (along with others) bubbles, pops, and fizzes,
- learn about gravity and momentum by investigating the science behind amusement park thrill rides at Central Park's Victorian Gardens,
- see if evidence exists that dinosaurs once roamed Manhattan and have a private tour of the world's largest dinosaur exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History,
- design structures, make clocks and hydroponic plants and explore more design themes based on a field trip to the Cooper Hewitt Museum
- learn how to count rhythms and connect knowledge of fractions to musical notes from an accomplished jazz musician and composer, AND MORE.
The daily schedule also includes a range of non-science activities such as arts and crafts, sports, and games.
At SciTech, we believe kids have an amazing ability to learn science if we spark the innate curiosity and creativity that resides within them. Kids are naturally driven to understand the forces that shape their world and want real-world experiences to learn science.
Classes will meet Monday through Friday at the New York Junior League which is located at 130 East 80th Street. The program runs from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm and provides a healthy lunch for all participants. Class sizes will be small and children will be divided up based on their ages for all activities.
The cost of the program is $500 per week. Families who register two children will receive a ten percent (10%) discount on the second child's tuition.
For more information contact us at 212-804-7055.